I am an engineer, manager, business owner – and an activist who gets things done on the ground. When I told a retired general who had been in the defense acquisition for a good part of his career that I had delivered a major system with large software content on time, meeting all requirements, within the budget originally bid; he responded that I was the only one he knew that could say that.
My activism has always been voluntary and have been a successful grassroots activist in areas such as environmentalism, domestic and child abuse, and community based mental health.
EXPERIENCE – Business and Employment
2019 - PRESENT
Popular Book Author and Reseacher
• Published - I Ching of a Thousand Doors. Available from book stores and multiple online sellers.
• In Progress - COVID WARS
• Research - Pearl Harbor attack, communications and propaganda 1st half of 20th Century — Pearl Harbor
I use the Gandhi’s principles in public engagement.
• Activist: Grassroots organizing, campaign planning, coalition building, public forums, board development, financial and personnel policies, EIS analysis, litigation support, consensus building.
• Forest Management, wildfires, biosafety, pesticides, highway expansions, land up planning, off road vehicles, wildlife management, community based mental health, response to domestic and child abuse, local food systems and markets.
Large Scale Engineering Development Projects
One of the few — On time, on budget, as originally bid — Military Deputy Program Manager, Development Contractor Program Manager.
• Program Management: All aspects of running a program up to $6 Billion: team building, scheduling, cost and budgeting, EVMS, contract and subcontract development, negotiations and management, engineering processes. Regulatory including radio, air, ship, land mobile safety.
• Ground, sea, and airborne remote sensing in imaging; command and control; intelligence sensing and data management; satellite communication; Air Traffic Control; distributed real time exercise.
Business, Entrepreneur, Veteran
Create a business from scratch.
• Engineering consulting, native plant restoration and nursery, commercial real estate restoration and management, performing arts series production, internet café that integrates people with mental illness with the community around them.
COMMERCIAL PRODUCT DEVELOPMENT
Side projects while working
• LETTER DROP. A computer game in the diskette era. Licensed to Centron Software.
Endorsed by Charles Goren and licensed to Tri Sigma.
• Help Yourself to Natural Health — comprehensive multimedia project targeted for DVD - canceled as the internet changed the market.
CAPTAIN, U.S. AIR FORCE
• Jim is a twelve-year veteran of the US Air Force, being moved around in the Acquisition Command and what is now Space Command to get early warning and remote imaging systems into operation. The last one was Cobra Judy, the only Air Force ship.
BUILDING SUPPLY TRADE AND FENCE BUILDING
• Worked my way through college at various jobs starting in High School, ½ to full time, living on the economy beginning in the second year of college.
• Partnered with a retired Navy Chief Petty Officer to create a residential fence building business in the San Francisco East Bay area.
• By the time I graduated from College I had a viable career in the building trades, getting unsolicited offers for driver, yard man, and counter man.
MASTER OF SCIENCE, UNIVERSITY OF FLORIDA
• Industrial and Systems Engineering. Included modeling, statistics, scheduling, and time-and-motion which Jim has used in technical work was well as agriculture.
BACHELOR OF SCIENCE, UNIVERSITY OF CALIFORNIA AT BERKELEY
• Electrical Engineering and Computer Science. This included feedback systems and other theorical mechanisms which occur in machines, business, economics, and nature.
ENVIRONMENTAL ACTIVISM, BY INVITATION – PATAGONIA
• Seminars on organizing, board development, and journalism with leaders in the field.
ADVANCE MANAGEMENT PROGRAM, BY APPOINTMENT - HARBRIDGE HOUSE
• Raytheon sponsored for senior managers. A six-month program, one week per month which included program management, finance, corporate governance, union relations, and the empowerment model of organizing work groups.
SQUADRON OFFICERS SCHOOL, COMPETITIVE PLACEMENT - AIR WAR COLLEGE